Monday, 28 October 2013

Drug Possession Charges and Penalties

If you were arrested because the police found drugs on your person, in your vehicle, in your home, in your personal property, then you may be charged with drug possession. Drug offenses can be prosecuted in either the state or federal courts.

Defense Attorney Jersey City


As an experienced drug defense attorney, Joel Silberman1 tells you-“The Federal and local authorities in New Jersey spend significant energy arresting and prosecuting those they suspect are using and distributing illegal narcotics. These charges are often enhanced if the prosecution alleges that the offense took place near a school, park or public housing complex. If you have been arrested or charged with drug related offenses you need to speak with Drug attorney as soon as possible.”(The Law Offices of Joelsilberman, LLC Ref:

Charges and Penalties for Drug Offenses:

The punishment that you face for drug possession will vary depending upon what type of drug that was found, and how much of it there was.

For example, the penalties for possessing less than 20 grams of marijuana will be far less serious than possessing more than 10 grams of a controlled substance such as cocaine or heroin. The difference between the two above examples is up to one year in a county jail for the marijuana charge versus up to thirty years in prison for the heroin or cocaine charge.

In addition to the above controlled substances, a person can be charged with possession if they have prescription painkillers or stimulants without a valid prescription. Some of the drugs in this category include: oxycodone, vicodin and xanax to name a few. This is one offense that a lot of average people commit without being aware of the criminal consequences. A person cannot take their friends prescription medication, or a spouse's, or a family member's because it was not prescribed to them by a licensed medical doctor.

If a person is convicted of a drug possession crime, he or she may be required to attend a drug diversionary program, they may get probation, and in a severe case they may have to serve time in a state or federal prison. Furthermore, a conviction for possession will also result in administrative penalties as well, meaning that the individual will have his or her driver's license suspended by the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles for up to two full years.

Criminal Defense Attorney NY

Criminal attorney New York, Mr. Paul D. Petrus Jr.2 tells “In 2009, judges were able to have more discretion in sentencing. Judges have been able to send more offenders to treatment programs, instead of prison, without having to get consent from the prosecutor. Unfortunately, New York still has some of the country’s toughest drug laws. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you.” (The Law Offices of Paul D. Petrus, Jr. and Associates, P.C Ref:

The most advantageous thing that somebody can do after being arrested for a drug possession crime is obtain their own private attorney right away. Working with a lawyer will give you the greatest opportunity to avoid a lengthy prison term.

1. Joel Silberman: 
Criminal Defense Attorney and Jersey City lawyer Joel Silberman focuses exclusively on Criminal Defense. Some of Joel’s most notable Adult and Juvenile cases involved charges related to Homicide, Gun Offenses, Aggravated Sexual Assault, Trafficking Narcotics, Fraud and Aggravated Assault. Call Joel at 201-273-7070 or Toll Free: 800-889-3129 or send e-mail at Office is located at 549 Summit Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07306. Visit for more information.

2. Paul D. Petrus, Jr.: 
Mr. Paul D. Petrus Jr. is a member of the New York State Bar Association and New York Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He is a practicing New York criminal defense attorney. Mr. Petrus works in federal and state courts. If you are looking for a Criminal Lawyer in NY, call Paul D. Petrus Jr. at 212.385.1961 or you can e-mail at Office is located at the Empire State Building, 350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 3601, New York, NY 10118. Visit for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment